- Employees and Volunteers means all people who work here.
- Supporters means other people who are involved with the charity; for example those who receive our newsletters, and donors who support us financially.
We will only ask for the information we need, explain why we need it and treat it as confidential.
When we record and use your personal information we:
- only access it when we have a good reason
- only share what is necessary and relevant (Volunteer and Employees only)
- don’t sell it to anyone
For employees and volunteers there may be times we use or share your information without your permission. If we do, we’ll always make sure there’s a legal basis for it, and always use it anonymously if at all possible. This could be:
- to comply with the law – for example, if a court orders us to share information. This is called ‘legal obligation’ under the General Data Protection Regulation.
- to protect someone’s life – for example, sharing information with a paramedic if you were unwell at our office. This is called ‘vital interests’
- to carry out our legitimate aims and goals as a charity – for example, to create statistics for our national research. This is called ‘legitimate interests’
- to carry out a contract we have with you – for example, if you’re an employee we might need to store your bank details so we can pay you. This is called ‘contract’
- to defend our legal rights – for example, sharing information with our legal advisors if there was a complaint that we gave the wrong advice
We handle and store your personal information in line with the law – including the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018.
You can check our main Citizens Advice policy for how we handle most of your personal information.
The following covers how we, as your local charity, handle your information locally in our offices.
How Citizens Advice Taunton collect your data
We collect Volunteers and Employees details via the respective application forms.
We collect Supporter’s information using various methods. For example, via our fundraising leaflet, and the Feedback Form on our website (which are transmitted as an email, with no data being retained on our website).
How Citizens Advice Taunton use your information
For Volunteers and Employees; we use your information to contact you and others in the event of an emergency; to make workplace adjustments that you need; to compile a personnel file that records, for example, your training and development; and to make payments to you.
For supporters we use your information in order to contact you, and for donors to receive donations.
How Citizens Advice Taunton store your information
The data is stored on our secure server and paper files in our secure office and internal access is restricted to staff and approved contractors.
As feedback forms are transmitted to us via email these are kept on our Microsoft Exchange Server. Everywhere we store data is either within the EEA or certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework. We will make sure any information is stored securely and only accessed when there’s a good reason by staff and volunteers of the Citizens Advice service.
How Citizens Advice Taunton share your information
We do not share Supporter data with anyone without an acceptable legal basis.
For Volunteers and Employees we share your data:
- with our outsourced accountant, so that they can make payments to you
- to send the required information to HMRC for our employees
- with training providers
- to arrange memberships to professional organisations with our employee pension provider
For Employees we have a legal basis for storing your information under ‘contract’ (see above). For Volunteers we will ask you to complete a Consent Form.
If you are concerned about confidentiality please contact us as detailed below.
Contact Citizens Advice Taunton about your information
If you have any questions about how your information is collected or used, you can contact our office.
Telephone: 01823 282235 (this number is for answer machine that is checked regularly)
Or use our feedback form to contact us: https://citizensadvicetaunton.org.uk/feedback/
You can contact us to:
- find out what personal information we hold about you
- correct your information if it’s wrong, out of date or incomplete
- ask us to limit what we do with your data
- ask us to give you a copy of the data we hold
In addition Supporters can:
- request we delete your information
- ask us stop using your information
Who’s responsible for looking after your personal information
Each local Citizens Advice is an independent charity, and a member of the national Citizens Advice charity. The Citizens Advice membership agreement also requires that the use of your information complies with data protection law.